Week 1: Flannery’s to Gangsta Gibbs

September 7th, 2014 rpghiz16

The plan wheels touched down in Ireland and as we rolled to a stop I kept telling myself, “I’m in Ireland right now”. It was just odd to me to think about how much my situation had changed during the 6 hour flight. So with all this pent up excitement I sped walk through the airport to be stopped by an hour long line for customs. The airport was obviously not much to see so it was like the equivalent of being forced to sit in the closet of a beautiful mansion. Anyway, we made it through customs and took a bus to our apartment and let in. The apartment itself is nothing special to say the least. Its a little dirty, and the wifi is terrible but its location to the city is unbelievable. Whalen’s and Flannery’s bars are a short walk on Camden street, there’s a beautiful park called St. Stephens Green I’ve walked through every day, Grafton street and O’Connell street are filled with shops, people, and amazing street performers. My favorite street performer is this man who wears a chrome helmet with big mirrored sunglasses, and a black morphsuit. He stares straight forward, not moving a muscle until someone throws a coin in his tip box when he proceeds to break dance like no other.

We’ve been to some cool places, and I think I’ve been out every night so far. This pace will slow down for sure once classes kick off tomorrow. We went to Whalen’s where they have lots of live music and I’ve heard they filmed a scene from P.S I Love You there too(never seen it). Flannery’s was across the street and gave a similar vibe though we just watched sports and chatted with the bar tender that night. He was kind enough to put on some baseball for us Americans, until 2 Irish men walked in and exclaimed, “What is this garbage!” On Tuesday, I took my friends from home to a Freddie Gibbs concert at the Twisted Pepper. Marcus Demascus went on first when there were just a handful of people in the venue but we got to talk to him after the show and he was very nice. Then a Dublin rap group came on after which was really cool just to here how it sounded with the accent.  I thought they were on to long but Gibbs eventually came out and gave a great show.  We were front row the whole show which was awesome. He was sweating on us which sounds gross but I’m a huge fan so I was loving it.

Last night we went to a club/bar open late, the name of it escapes me. It was a great night though, we met a group of Irish kids and some students from French as well. Overall, its been a hectic but exciting first week. Its been everything I had hoped and I think it’ll continue to be a fun ride as a settle in further. I’ll force myself to take some more pictures, but I’ll include one from the concert where you can see me front row. Cheers,

Ryan

Freddie Gibbs